Yiddish Folk Fest Schedule -- Sunday September 30, 3-7 pm
3:00 pm: Start of the Festival. Art vendors; food provided by House of Bagels
Main Stage Music
- 3:15-4:00 -- Jubilee Klezmer Ensemble
- 4:15-5:00 -- The Freilachmakers
- 5:15-6:15 -- The Red Hot Chachkas
- 6:15-7:00 -- Dance Party led by Bruce Bierman with Music by Klezmer All-Stars
3:15-5:00 pm: Participatory classes
- Yiddish Singing for Families (For All). Gerry Tenney. Learn a new old song. Bring along a song to sing, if you'd like. Song sheets will be provided.
- Yiddish Dance. Bruce Bierman. Much of klezmer music was created to be dance music. We will cover steps, figures and styles for many of the dances in the klezmer repertory, such as freylakhs, bulgar, sher and zhok or hora.
- Instrumental Klezmer class: Melody. Barbara Speed, Breck Diebel (Red Hot Chachkas). Explore the elements of melody, stressing rhythmic flexibility, energy flow, ornamental styles, and fills.
- Instrumental Klezmer class: Rhythm and Accompaniment. Glenn Hartman,Michael Arrow (Red Hot Chachkas). This interactive workshop is for creating klezmer grooves, nuances of accompaniment patterns, beat manipulation, and integration of the melody into the rhythmic foundation
- Yiddish Story Telling. Andy Rader. If you love stories and want to hear a few or perhaps tell one of your own, then come to the storytelling workshop. The workshop will be a chance to explore the latent storyteller in all of us and discover that we really are telling stories all the time, whether we know it or not. We will discover how to bring storytelling into our daily lives in a conscious way. As an added bonus, Andy will share with the participants how telling our own stories help strengthen the mind and memory and may ward off memory loss.
- Children’s Interactive Workshop. Susan Tacherra. Join us for an hour of story telling, crafts, and fun with a “Yiddish” flair. Geared towards the younger set.