| General Info
Concert & Dance
| Teachers & Performers
| Youth Program
| Registration & Payment
| Meal Menus | Donors & Co-Sponsors
- Location: Congregation Etz Chayim, 4161 Alma Street, Palo Alto CA 94306 [View Map]
- Parking lot: Etz
Chayim has its own parking lot. The adjacent parking lot, for St.
Andrews Church, is available for our use except on Sunday morning. If
both lots are filled, street parking is available, as follows:
- Street parking: The first route described here is safer when traffic on Alma is heavy. It makes a circle with several right turns to come to a block south of Etz Chayim. First route: Turn right from the Etz Chayim parking lot onto Alma, take the first right onto Greenmeadow and first right onto Parkside. Parkside will curve left, after which take first right onto Scripps, then 4th right onto Ferne Ave. Keep on Ferne though there's a jog, and park where you can. Walk straight ahead to get back to Alma, turn right and walk back up to Etz Chayim. Alternate route (shorter but sometimes difficult due to traffic): Turn left from the parking lot onto Alma and take the first left onto Ferne Ave.
- Carpools: We will try to connect
people who would like to carpool. Email transportation[at]klezcalifornia.org.
Indicate whether you are offering or seeking a ride, to or from where
(city/neighborhood/airport), and on which days. If you are staying at
the Marriott (see below) without a car, we will try to match you with
a Festival participant with a car who can take you between
hotel, Festival, and restaurants as needed. The Marriott does not offer
any shuttle service.
- Public transportation: Etz Chayim is only two blocks from the San Antonio CalTrain station. See CalTrain
and be sure to click on the weekend/holiday schedule. Trains run once
an hour. For information about linking to CalTrain from BART, or other
public transportation options within the Bay Area, see www.511.org.
- San Francisco Airport (SFO): If
you are flying in and not renting a car, there are several ways to get
to the Courtyard by Marriott in Los Altos: Door-to-door vans: For South
& East Bay Shuttle ($17-$69), call 800.548.4664. For SuperShuttle
($26-$95), call 415.558.8500. For V.I.P. Airport Shuttle ($20-$34),
call 800.235.8847. BART to CalTrain to San Antonio station: see www.511.org, then take a taxi to the hotel.
- Questions? Contact transportation[at]klezcalifornia.org.
- Hotel: KlezCalifornia has made arrangements for reduced-rate hotel rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott,
4320 El Camino Real, Los Altos 94022. The hotel is 1-1/2 miles from
Congregation Etz Chayim in Palo, site of the Festival. Rooms with one king or
two queen beds are available for $89/night + 11% tax = $98.79/night.
Call the Marriott at 800.321.2211 and request a room
for the Yiddish Culture Festival. They are holding rooms for Festival participants until February 1. NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE: MONDAY FEBRUARY 8. Reserve a room as soon as
you know your plans.
Roommates: KlezCalifornia will try to match you with a roommate. Email lodging[at]klezcalifornia.org with your request.
- Rides: If you are staying at the Marriott without a car, we will try to match you with someone with a car who can take you between the hotel and Festival site (Congregation Etz Chayim). Let us know with your registration if you will need these rides.
- We are proud to present to you delicious meals by Izzy's Brooklyn Bagels and by Yes Catering, both are certified kosher by the Vaad Hakashrus of Northern California.
- Please see Meal
Menus for descriptions of the meals -- available for your convenience and enjoyment during the Festival. All meals have a vegetarian option.
- How to order meals: Meals at the Festival are available only if you pre-order and pre-pay. There are two steps to pre-ordering meals:
- Fill out the meal order form, which is the last page of the Registration Form, AND
- Pay by check mailed with the Registration Form, OR pay by credit card using PayPal online (See Registration Page).
- Deadlines: The deadline for ordering dinners at the Festival has passed. The deadline for lunch orders is Thursday, Feb. 11. Because mail may not get to us in time, if you want to order lunches call 415.789.7679 or email email@example.com. For Sunday's lunch, indicate your meal selection (see "Meal Menus" pull-down tab, above).
- Coffee and tea will be available throughout the Festival, plus snacks at the Dance Parties and Finale.
- You may bring meals from home or elsewhere. Ask at the Sholem Aleichem Vinkl (Registration Corner) for a list of nearby restaurants that offer take-out. Please observe Etz Chayim's kashrus rules: no pig products or shellfish allowed in the building. Meat you bring in need not be kosher.
- Whether you order a meal from KlezCalifornia, bring food from home, or get a take-out meal, we encourage you to eat with fellow Festival participants, teachers, and staff to strengthen our community and increase your fun. During Sunday and Monday lunchtime, join one of our special “affinity group” tables to meet people who share one of your interests: speak Yiddish, create a new klezmer band, talk about activities in your city, etc. or join a table without a special subject and meet new people.
- Ask at the Sholem Aleichem Vinkl for a list of breakfast restaurants and possibly also late-night eateries.
WHAT TO BRING
- Paper and pen/pencil if you like to take notes.
- Musical instrument, if you play, and any supplies you might need (strings, picks, reeds, batteries, etc.)
- Recording device for workshops.
- Music stand, labeled with your name, if you wish to use charts,
- Lunch on Sunday and Monday if you prefer not to pre-order through us.
- Mute, if you play a loud instrument.
- We may take photographs and videos at the Festival for use in our newsletter, on our website or for similar non-commercial purposes. Please let us know if you do not wish photographs to be used for such purposes.
- Would you like to help us put on a great Yiddish Culture Festival? Before,
during and after the Festival, we need all kinds of volunteer help, such as
bringing people to and from airports and hotels, checking
registrations, and moving chairs. If you are able to help, email volunteer[at]klezcalifornia.org.