KlezCalifornia and JCC East Bay present
Yiddish Culture Festival
Cabaret by the Bay
presented by KlezCalifornia with New Yiddish Theater
Sunday December 4th — 1-7 pm
1414 Walnut Street near Rose St., Berkeley [map]
Back by popular demand! This year’s festival features the theme of Radical Yiddish Culture, with nine participatory workshops, including klezmer instrumental music, singing, dancing, theater, and family activities. The festival concludes with a cabaret concert, complete with comedy, Yiddish song performance, storytelling, poetry, and dancing.
What on earth does Radical Yiddish Culture mean? The fact is that Yiddish culture has always had "radical" in its DNA. The culture whose literature, poetry, and music taught people to laugh through their tears; the language that people living in a dozen different countries used to maintain thriving trade routes; how could it be otherwise? Now Yiddish, the culture that refused to die, is being reinvented by a radical generation of artists, writers and musicians to encompass new forms, fusion, and followers.
Read about it in the San Francisco Classical Voice
Workshops Session #1, 1:00-2:30pm
- Kids’ Kumzits, Family/Youth Workshop, with Gerry Tenney
- Stella Adler on Angels in America, an acting class with Bruce Bierman
- Fun Oyer tsu Hant: Ear-to-Hand Boot Camp, with Veretski Pass
- American Jewish Radicals: the Lesser-Known Stories, with Elaine Leeder
- Ladies Lib: Songs from Seamstresses to Suffragists, with Heather Klein
Workshops Session #2, 2:45-4:15pm
- Tants! / Klezmer Dancing, with Bruce Bierman
- Dos Lebedikeh Lid / Turn Songs Into Lively Arrangements, with Veretski Pass
- Yidish Klolez un Sharfeh Vitzlekh / Yiddish Curses & Stinging Witticisms, with Ken Blady
- Radical Yiddish Songs of An-ski & Beregovski, with Gerry Tenney
Cabaret by the Bay & Dance Party, 5-7pm
MC Reb Irwin Keller
(Jeanette Lewicki, Sheldon Brown, Richard Saunders)
Dancing (beginning 6:30pm)
Dance leader Karen Bergen
Music by The Gonifs
Buy Tickets Now
- Advance ticket sales closed. Tickets available at the door.
- Festival Pass (Cabaret + 2 Workshops): $50 adult, $20 teen, Free age 6-12.
- Individual Workshop Sessions: $20 adult, $10 teen, Free age 6-12
- Cabaret: $25 adult, $10 teen, Free age 6-12.
- We recommend buying passes and cabaret tickets in advance, as availability at door may be limited. There is no added transaction fee, so advance purchase costs the same as at door and will expedite your admission. Ticket Policies
- Scholarships: reduced price in exchange for volunteer time. Contact email@example.com by November 13 for more information.