To JCCs, congregations, schools, senior homes, summer camps....
Tayereh Fraynt (Dear Friends):
Thank you for your interest in KlezCalifornia. Since our founding in
2003, KlezCalifornia has become a lively part of the Bay Area Jewish
scene. We offer exciting, well-run participatory events, with talented
and engaging artists and teachers. More than 3,000 people of all ages have come to our events to play music, dance, sing, act, and study Yiddish language
and literature in translation. We also can provide advice on your Yiddish culture programming.
Yiddish Culture Festivals can take place over one afternoon, two days (Saturday
evening through Sunday), or multiple days. These exciting,
family-friendly events feature concerts, dance parties, and
participatory workshops such as klezmer music for all instruments and
all levels; Yiddish literature, language, popular phrases, and humor;
Yiddish songs; multi-generational klezmer bands; special teen
workshops; and youth activities for ages 6-12.
One-time or multiple-session Tastes of Yiddish Culture include:
- Family evenings of Yiddish music and dance
- Holiday songs from the Yiddish tradition
- Learning to chant the seder’s fir kashes (“four questions”) in Yiddish
- Dramatic readings in Yiddish/English of stories by Sholem Aleichem and others
- Master classes with noted musicians visiting the Bay Area
- Study of masterpieces of Yiddish literature in translation
- Lectures on many aspects of Eastern European Jewish culture
- Series on Yiddish film or Yiddish theater
- Creating or coaching klezmer bands for adults, kids or multi-generations
... and much more.