KlezCalifornia promotes and celebrates Yiddish culture in the San Francisco Bay Area
YIDDISH CULTURE FESTIVAL
KlezCalifornia's thirteenth Yiddish Culture Festival is THIS WEEKEND! Save time at the Festival -- buy tickets online!
We charge you no service fee.
Online registration closes Friday
At Sunday's Festival Finale, Veretski Pass (the internationally-renowned, Berkeley-based, klezmer "super group") will release their new CD, Poyln, a Gilgul. Translated as "Poland, a Metamorphosis," this CD contains obereks, kujawiaks, krakowiaks and polkas of Poland, previously unknown Hasidic tunes, country dances, contemporary and 19th century ethnographic collections, repertoire from field research of the musicians and their colleagues, and original compositions. This recording is the meeting of Jewish and Polish music - a missing link of the klezmer revival. It is based on Veretski Pass' collaboration with Joel Rubin at the 2014 Yiddish Culture Festival in Palo Alto!
Their 30-minute performance will be followed by a dance party to music by Veretski Pass, Festival music teachers, and participants, with dancing led by Bruce Bierman. Come to dance or watch, and enjoy the refreshments, included with admission!
Saturday & Sunday, November 7 & 8
Presented in partnership with JCC EAST BAY
NEW this year!
CABARET & CABERNET
Saturday, November 7 at 7:30-10:00pm
We are very excited to present KlezCalifornia's first CABARET, with refreshments, and serving wine (for purchase), featuring some of the Bay Area's greatest entertainers: singers, story tellers, poetry, klezmer music, and more!
|Saul Goodman's Klezmer Band|
WORKSHOPS, PERFORMANCE, & PARTY
Sunday, November 8 at 10:00am-7:00pm
Photo by Dale Pearlman
Plenty for everyone! Check out the workshop details.
WORKSHOPS10:00am - 4:45pm
- Instrumentalists: including two Master Classes to participate in or watch! Study with Stu Brotman, Dan Cantrell, David Chernyavsky, Mikel "Moish" Estrin, Dmitri Gaskin, Joshua Horowitz, Mike Perlmutter, Stephen Saxon, and Cookie Segelstein. All instruments invited!
- Singers: songs, technique, and Master Class with Jeanette Lewicki, Heather Klein, and Sharon Bernstein, respectively.
- Dancing: Two klezmer dance workshops with Bruce Bierman.
- For everyone: Music-inspired poetry workshop with Jake Marmer; East European Jewish history with Ken Blady; History of klezmer with Andy Muchin.
- For families and kids: Fun for all ages with Gerry Tenney.
PERFORMANCE and PARTY
with dancing led by Bruce Bierman to music by Veretski Pass, Festival music teachers, and participants. Refreshments included.
Photo by Dana DavisBuy your tickets online today!
This Festival is made possible through the generosity of the:
Alliance for California Traditional Arts
Center for Jewish Studies at the Graduate Theological Union
Frederick J. Isaac Philanthropic Fund of the Jewish Community Foundation of the East Bay
Libitzky Family Foundation
Bernard Osher Jewish Philanthropies Foundation of the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund
Chaim Schwartz Foundation
Taube Foundation for Jewish Life & Culture
We welcome your donation as well! Gifts to KlezCalifornia are tax-deductible.