KlezCalifornia All-Stars perform at Yerba Buena Gardens Festival (
- KlezCalifornia Newsletter Our monthly email newsletters summarize news and events that KlezCalifornia presents, co-presents, co-sponsors, or recommends. The most recent issue and a complete archive of past issues are available online.
- KlezCalifornia Gele* Pages (* yellow) Our compilation of Yiddish culture resources in the Bay Area (and some in Sacramento, Davis, and Santa Cruz).
- Khevruse Directory Our Khevruse* Directory (* activity partner) provides a way to indicate how you would like to participate in Yiddish culture and find others with similar interests. To connect with others who speak Yiddish, form a klezmer band, read Yiddish literature, dance, sing, etc., please join. Access to listings is only for those who participate.
- Want Ads Posts by and for klezmer musicians and dancers, Yiddish singers and speakers, and others in the KlezCalifornia community.
- Events of Interest Some upcoming and recurrent events are listed. See and please sign up to subscribe our monthly email Newsletters, which include events that KlezCalifornia presents, co-presents, co-sponsors, or recommends. See also sites such as the J., PlanitJewish, BayJews.org/events, and Klezmer Shack.
- Venues for Klezmer Performances
- Places to Learn Yiddish A list of local, international and virtual places to learn Yiddish, compiled by Dorrit Geshuri (a board member of KlezCalifornia) and Jordan Kutzik.
- Global Resource Guide to Yiddish Music and Culture An extensive unannotated 2003 listing of resources for information about Yiddish culture, history, language, music, dance, etc., collected by Ari Davidow, Helen Winkler, Gerben Zaagsma, and Joshua Horowitz.
- KlezCalifornia Songbook, 3rd edition. Yiddish songs in transliteration, with translations. Available for $3.00 + S/H donation from KlezCalifornia, info[at]klezcalifornia.org (415.789.7679), KlezCalifornia, 1728 Allston Way, Berkeley CA 94703, or View PDF or Download PDF
- Lomir Zingn a Yidish Lid. Includes Yiddish songs in transliteration, full translation,
and music with chords. Available in paperback for $20.00 + S/H (The original publisher Kinderbukh is out of business.) from Gerry Tenney, gerry[at]klezcalifornia.org (1.510.465.7911)
- Pearls of Yiddish Song
(“the Red Book”), compiled by Chana and Yosl Mlotek (paperback, $17.95; Now on sale for $10.00 + S/H)
Includes words in Yiddish, words in transliteration, translation
(sometimes full, sometimes a summary) and the music with chords. Available from The Jewish Book Center of The Workmen’s Circle (jewishbookcenter.com)
- Mir Trogn a Gezang, The New Book of Yiddish Songs (“the Blue Book”), compiled by Chana Mlotek (paperback, $19.95; Now on sale for $10.00 + S/H). Similar format. Ibid.
- Songs of Generations, New Pearls of Yiddish Song (“the Purple Book”), compiled by Chana and Yosl Mlotek (paperback, $24.95; Now on sale for $10.00 + S/H). Similar format. Ibid.
- Yiddish Song Book, by Jerry Silverman ($19.95 + S/H). Includes words in transliteration, full translation, and music with chords. Ibid.
Major Bay Area Jewish Arts Presenters
Bay Area stores stocking Yiddish books and/or klezmer recordings
- Afikomen, 3042 Claremont Ave., Berkeley
- Amoeba Records,1855 Haight St., San Francisco & 2455 Telegraph Ave., Berkeley
- Contemporary Jewish Museum, 736 Mission St., San Francisco
- Dayenu Gift Shop, JCCSF, 3220 California St, San Francisco
- Down Home Music, 10341 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito
Yiddish-Jewish Culture on the Web
- A Shmek Yidish - A Taste of Yiddish Yiddish language learning series
- Dora Teitelboim Centerr Advancing Jewish Culture and the Yiddish Language
- ibiblio.org/yiddish/school Resources on Yiddish teaching and learning
- Jordan Kutzik's Facebook page Updates on places to learn Yiddish
- Mendele Yiddish literature and language
- National Yiddish Book Center
- Shtetl,Yiddish Language and Culture
- User's Guide to Yiddish on the Internet
- Yidbits Hershl Hartman's monthly exploration of a Yiddish word or phrase. Subscribe at yiddishkayt.org
- Yiddish dictionary online (Yidish Verterbukh afn Veb). Enter an English word to find its Yiddish equivalent, or a Yiddish word in transliteration or in alef beys to find its English definition. Links Yiddish blogs written by Sholem Berges and Noam Stariks. A few tables with Yiddish grammar
- Yiddish Is 7-minute YouTube video of Chayale Ash and Fishl Kutner
- Yiddish poems about mothers Sheva Zucker's blog with one poem each week in Yiddish and in English translation
- Yiddish WebRing
- YiddishWit.com Illustrated Yiddish proverbs, aphorisms, insults, curses, and other folk sayings, in Yiddish with transliteration and English translation
- Yiddish Word of the Week with definition, synonyms, etymology, phrases using the word, and clip of a native Yiddish speaker using the word in conversation
East European Jewish History
Yiddish Songs & Klezmer Music