Connecting people with Yiddish culture
Yiddish culture encompasses the language, music, arts, and customs of a millenium of Jewish community life across Eastern Europe. KlezCalifornia is a living resource that connects people and communities with Yiddish culture. KlezCalifornia events are for musicians and non-musicians, Yiddish speakers and those who know only a few words of mameloshn ("the mother tongue"), and anyone of any age who enjoys or wants to learn about Yiddish culture.
KlezCalifornia has connected people around the San Francisco Bay Area with Yiddish culture and klezmer music since 2003. We INFORM people about our own events and events produced by others. We PRODUCE events of many kinds: performances, workshops, jams. We LINK people with teachers, bands, classes, and each other. We TEACH about Yiddish culture to kids and adults. We SUPPORT artists by generating larger audiences for their events and by providing fiscal-sponsorship services. We BUILD inter-generational COMMUNITY. We CELEBRATE Yiddish culture in many ways and settings.
KlezCalifornia's major programs in 2017 are:
To see what KlezCalifornia is about, watch this short video:
Check out our Events
. If your organization might collaborate with KlezCalifornia
, please see Plan an Event
. Also, as a charitable non-profit organization, we act as a Fiscal Sponsor
for selected arts, culture, and education projects consistent with our mission.
also provides a variety of Resources
- Geleh (Yellow) Pages — listings of Yiddish culture resources in the San Francisco Bay Area, including community klezmer bands, Yiddish clubs, dance leaders, choruses, lecturers, and youth programs
- Global Resource Guide — compiled references for klezmer and Yiddish culture
- Khevruseh Directory — private roster to connect people to speak Yiddish, form a Jewish book club, play klezmer music, or re-connect with other participants from our events
- Klezmer Workshop & Jam Info, plus Style Links — for each instrument, for learners
- Venues in Bay Area — info about local venues for Yiddish and klezmer events, useful for performers
- Want Ads — specific listings within our community
- Yiddish Learning Resources — a compilation for learners